Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Ingrid Cait part 1

We prayed a lot about having another baby and couldn't deny the overwhelming feeling we had that it was time to add another little one to our family. I had my I.U.D removed the 2nd week of December and I planned on it taking awhile until I became pregnant. I took a pregnancy test the 2nd week of January and there it was. Another little baby was already cooking away.
 It didn't take long for the morning sickness to hit. Once it did hit, it hit hard. It took every ounce of energy I had just to get out of bed. My other pregnancies didn't even compare. I also struggled a lot with depression. I had a hard time coping with not having the energy I needed to take care of my family.
My first appointment came and seeing that little baby nugget in my belly was the huge motivational boost that I needed. Everything looked great! About a week after my appointment as I was taking one of my many middle of the night bathroom breaks.  I stood up after doing my business and felt a huge gush run down my legs. I thought what the heck did I seriously just pee myself after I literally just got off the toilet??? I turned on the light (cause I pee in the dark. Don't judge me.) and there was blood running down my legs, and it wasn't just a little bit. My legs were completely covered. I woke up Jordon and made him call the doctor for me cause I was a mess already. A million things were running through my head. One thing I thought I knew for sure was that I just lost this baby. This baby we knew Heavenly Father wanted us to have.
The on call nurse said it was most likely a miscarriage and gave me the go ahead to go to the emergency room. It was 1 in the morning and we had our 2 other girls so Jordon and I decided that I would just take myself to the ER. Unfortunately it just dumped on us with snow so the roads were horrible. I managed to get myself to the hospital though. The doctor and the nurse prepped me for the worse, and called in the ultrasound tech just to be sure. They gave me an ultrasound and of course didn't let me see anything the whole time. Then I got to sit in my room for about 3 hours and wait.  The longest night of my life. Finally the doctor came in and said, "Well surprisingly there's still a baby in there!" I started bawling my eyes out. I just kept asking if he was being serious. He said the baby looked great and diagnosed it as a subchorionic hemorrhage and I needed to see my doctor right away because there was still a big risk of me miscarrying.
I was sent home and told my husband the good news. Poor guy was so worried.
I was put on pelvic rest and my doctors office decided I didn't need to be seen for another month. So of course I worried that entire month. I finally was able to be seen by the doctor and then got yelled at for not being seen sooner... Uhhh I'm pretty sure that wasn't my choice..
They found that I had placenta previa, where the placenta covers the cervix. I had to have Ultrasounds every few weeks to see if it would move out of the way. By my 20th week ultrasound it resolved itself. (YAY!) And we also found out we were having another GIRL!
I thought my poor husband might pass out.
The rest of my pregnancy went really well, minus the horrendous heartburn.
My due date came and went and at my 40th week appointment I couldn't stop crying. I couldn't tell you why I was bawling my eyes out, something just didn't feel right. I really really really wanted to avoid being induced, and as  I was bawling my eyes out my doctor told me they already had my Induction scheduled for that coming Saturday because they were worried about how big I was measuring. Also my sweet mother in law who came to be there when I had the baby was leaving that following Tuesday. I just gave in and went ahead with the induction. Oh how I wish I would have went with my instincts!
41 weeks and my induction date came and I headed into the hospital thinking I would be holding my baby by the end of the day.
I have done a lot of research on what I wanted for this birth. I was induced with Nolah and it went amazingly so I was hoping for the same outcome.  I gave the doctor my birth plan which stated I wanted to keep things as natural as possible. As I got checked into the hospital and settled in I was discussing my wishes with the doctor and the nurses. My lovely doctor instantly started arguing everything with me. Now let me just say I was not requesting anything crazy. Once my labor got started and I was dilated far enough along I wanted to be taken off of everything to let my body do its thing. (exactly what I did with Nolah) She was not having it. Yay I was so excited to be stuck with a jerk doctor. My doctor left for a little while my nurse got me all set up and noticed that I requested no eye ointment on the baby after birth. Ah that's when all the fun began. My nurse said that it was mandated by NY law to put the eye ointment on after birth. I told her that I have researched it and I felt more comfortable not having it done. She left the room for a bit and in came the triage nurse. She was not my favorite person. She instantly had an attitude about it. She kept asking why I would choose not to have it done and I gave her my reasons. She just kept shaking her head and told us that if we do not let them apply the ointment then they had to report us to social services. I told her that I felt comfortable with my decision and I was sticking to it. My doctor came in to finally start the induction process but first she needed to put her two cents in about the whole eye ointment. She informed me that if I don't allow them to put the eye ointment on my baby then there would be a possibility of me leaving the hospital without my baby. I was FURIOUS. I was like over eye ointment really?? You're going to take my baby away over eye ointment? She was like OH yeah it's pretty serious.
What an awesome thing to say to someone who is about to give birth. Way to make me feel safe and comfortable. Once my doctor left the room my nurse immediately turned to me and said I can promise you they aren't going to take your baby away for this. All we have to do is notify Social Services and then it is their choice if they want to pursue it. Which I doubt they will because you have two other happy and healthy children. Mind you, not a one tried to tell me what the benefits were of getting the eye oinment, and what the risks were with not getting it. They were all to busy telling me how I was going to be reported to social services.
All I'm going to say is Sphincter law. If you don't know what that is look it up people.
So they started the process. I was only 2cm dilated so they couldn't start me on pitocin yet. Instead she gave me an itty bitty pill called cytotec. FYI cytotec is not FDA approved to use for inducing labor. They had me on that for most of the day and the doctor came in and said I was dilated to a 3 so I could start on pitocin. Another FYI you cannot be put on pitocin unless you are at least 3cm along otherwise your uterus will max out on pitocin and wont contract. I did lots of walking and bouncing on the birth ball before they put me on the pitocin. Once they put me on the pit they wouldn't let me leave my bed. I was contracting a bit here and there but nothing major. Every time my doctor would come in she would argue about something with me so I told them to stop coming in unless necessarry . After a full day of contracting I was already exhausted and my doctor wouldn't let me eat anything besides broth that my nurse had to fight her on just to be able to have that. Thank heavens for nurses..
I also asked if I could take a quick nap before they started me on pitocin and she said no. She was a peach I tell ya what..
I was on pitocin all night going through phases of really intense contractions to nothing at all. I finally fell asleep around 4am and I guess the doctor came in to check me and my sweet husband told them to let me sleep.
Shift change finally came and I got a new doctor. Hallelujah! The new doctor comes in and he says, "Can you tell me why you won't let the last doctor touch you???" I was like what the heck??? I never said she couldn't touch me I just wanted the cervical checks to minimum. So this doctor checks me and he instantly looks pissed. He says, "Why did she have you on pitocin?! You aren't even 2 cm dilated." SAY WHAT?!?! He takes me off of everything and tells me to take take a shower and order a big breakfast so we can start from scratch. Ahh I liked him better already. I get settled back in and he starts me with some ointment that is to help soften the cervix. You have to stay on that for 12 hours. They leave us alone and tells me to eat as much as I want. Towards the evening I start having really strong contractions and I think YES finally! Things are getting started. I decide to get in the bath for a while and then sit on the birthing ball for a bit. After my 12 hours are up my doctor comes and checks me and says I'm only at a 2. I was so devastated, and couldn't stop crying. He began to tell me that with my history of hemorraghing my uterus has just given up, that I had a lazy uterus and he didn't think it was even possible for me to go into labor. He said I really shouldn't have anymore babies. My body couldn't handle it. (Insert eye roll) This doctor didn't technically work for Fort Drum so he didn't have much say in what my choices were. He took me off everything again and told me to get some sleep and wait and see what the next doctor on call wanted to do. The next doctor on call was the head doctor of my doctor's office. He assured me that he could get this baby out by the end of the day. But after 48 hours of HELL litterally, I was done. I wanted to go home. He did an ultrasound to make sure baby was ok and he said everything looked amazing. Baby was happy and there was no reason to why I should be induced right now. It was Monday and he scheduled a stress test for Wednesday and Induction round 2 on that following Saturday when he was on call again. The count down was on. I have never been sooo happy to leave a hospital with a baby still in my belly. I felt instant relief. My poor mother in law flew back to Utah the following day without meeting her new grandbaby. But I am so so thankful she came when she did because that would have been a million times worse without all her help. For the next few days I really focused on relaxing and saying lots and lots of prayers! Those 48 hours in the hospital were by far the most emotionally and physically exhausting I have ever been through. I don't think I have felt so emotionally drained in my life. I just knew miss Ingrid would come when she needed to.

No comments: