Thursday, July 19, 2012


In April we got to experience the blessed R&R. Jordon was able to come home for a two week vacation.
It was pure heaven I tell ya.

Waiting for it to come I was SO nervous! Six months is a long time not to see your husband and I changed A LOT! Physically and emotionally. I did just give birth to a baby right before he left so physically I definitely wasn't the same. So I was pretty nervous to see how things were going to go.
We really really wanted to surprise Ellie so we never told her when daddy was coming home. It was so hard to keep my trap shut. About two days before he came home Ellie and I were driving in the car and Ellie said, "Mom, when is Daddy going to come home? I really miss him." I told her, "Sorry babe but dad wont be coming home for a while." Ellie started bawling, "He is NEVER coming home! NEVER! I just want daddy back!"
Ugh. It took everything I had not to spill the beans then and there.
When it was time to go to the airport I told her that we should go try something new and watch the airplanes take off at the airport. She was so excited. We even made a sign for the airplanes to see. Which actually read 'Welcome home daddy!'
We left a little early to get there on time and unfortunately it was the same time all the school buses were dropping off the kids from school so we got stuck in our neighborhood for a good 15 minutes. Jordon's flight also landed early so when we finally got to the airport we were walking into the entrance and as we were walking in Jordon was walking right past it so we basically ran into each other. He saw Ellie first and hurried and scooped her up. Ellie had no idea what was going on and had a face like 'who the heck is this guy that just picked me up?!' After a second of staring at his face Ellie says, "Daddy! What the heck are you doing here?!"

I was so so sad I didn't get the chance to record her reaction!! She was so happy after she finally realized that Daddy was actually home. She said it was the best surprise ever! After Jordon gave his lovies to Ellie he got to hold Nolah for the first time since she was 5 days old. He cried. I cried. We cry a lot.
Nolah wasn't to sure about him. But we didn't exactly ease her into it. We went home so the hubbs could take a nice long shower and then just had some snuggley family time.
 Besides when we were at church and out in public Nolah was never really around a male so she definitely didn't know what to think about this guy smothering her in kisses. The first day she did pretty good. The second and third day I think the newness of her dad kind of wore off and she really didn't want anything to do with him. It was so hard watching him just trying so hard to start a relationship with her. It absolutely broke my heart.
 But he didn't give up and he kept giving her lots of loves and singing to her and playing with her every second he could. After a few days she warmed up to him. She loved listening to him sing. She always stopped crying when he started singing. Jordon was better at putting her to sleep then I was!
OH my heart was about to burst every time I watched him with his girls. I know that will be something that I never take for granted again.
Ellie was in heaven. She did not leave him alone for even a second, and of course she was on her best behavior for her dad! She is a daddy's girl to the max. There is no denying it.

 We took it nice and easy for Jordon's R&R. We didn't go anywhere crazy or anything, just relaxed and enjoyed each others company. Did a few fun things here and there.
 For some reason Jordon got all cleaning and project crazy. He helped Ellie deep clean girl's room, finished a few projects, and he even let me sleep in a couple times and I woke up to a CLEAN kitchen.
 There is no greater present than that right there. Basically he made me fall in love with him all over again.

It made me feel bad every time he did something like that though since ya know this was his vacation from fighting a war and all.... So to re-pay him I fed that belly of his good. Jordon and I have a very strong love for delicious food. We ate non-stop. Before he came home I was doing the 30 day shred and eating super healthy. I even got under my pre-pregnancy weight. Well.. that all went out the window when he came home. It was worth it though.
R&R was just what we needed. We were able to remind each other why we are sticking this out. We were able to discuss all the issues we were having and fix them. It helped give us the motivation to finish this second half of the deployment. When he left it hurt like hell. I would definitely have to say saying goodbye the second time is the hardest.

They let you keep them just long enough to get use to them being around before they take them back again. Thankfully I anticipated it being hard on me and planned to leave for Utah 3 days after he left so I didn't exactly have time to sit and think about it. The ache was still there for sure. I just never gave myself the chance to let it over come me.
The good news is that when he left we were officially past the half way mark!!! HOORAY! Every day brings me one day closer to having my family back together!


Our Family of Four said...

you guys are simply the cutest family in the world! I'm so glad he had his R&R and you all got that quality time. and i agree, saying goodbye the 2nd time is much worse!

Our Jarvis Jive said...

Oh my gosh. I was like crying when I read this post! You guys have such a beautiful family, and it's so easy to see how much you love your hubby. You guys are such an awesome example...hope these next few months go fast for you guys. :)

rick.and.kels said...

im all teary eyed, you guys are such a sweet little family. glad youre past the halfway mark.

Kelli J. said...

Stop it! You can't write posts like this!!! I end up crying! Brings back lots of memories of Nick's loooooong deployment...but i didnt have kids then. You are tough!!! You can do it!!!